This evening, as I stood on my balcony gazing up at the sky, I admired the fluffy clouds moving gently across the sky.
I smiled, as I remembered a game that we played as kids, when we would lie on our backs on the lawn, with the most beautiful blue sky spread above us, with cotton-puff clouds scattered in various patterns.
We called it the Creator’s garden. Based on the shape of the clouds on a particular day, we would make predictions about what the Creator had planted. From cauliflowers to pumpkins to beans and carrots, we played this silly game over and over again.
Lazy holidays under the sun, watching flocks of birds fly overhead and colourful butterflies flitting about.
I asked myself why, as adults we don’t have the time for such simple pursuits that give so much joy.
I then asked myself this question and tried answering it – “If I had the time, would I spend time on such simple and fun activities?”
Yes….! If I had the time I would….
– chase raindrops on the window pane with my fingers
– cut okra slices, dip them in paint and make flower patterns on the wall
– blow soap bubbles on a bright, sunny day and chase the bubbles as they glisten and fly away
– eat a huge cotton candy
Courtesy – istock
– try hanging upside down on the sofa as we used to do as kids
– play and fight with my siblings over board games
– watch the night sky and stars, sitting in our backyard
– laugh at old family jokes that are repeated ad nauseum
– splash water by jumping into one puddle after another on a rainy day
– laugh at silly things
– eat sugarcanes and mangoes, with friends and siblings on a hot summer’s day.
Sigh! If only I had the time….
What simple things from your childhood would you do, if you had the time?
Would love to know…